Friday, May 10, 2013

Wallace Stegner, 'Living Dry'

Cholla at Sunset. Photo by Darla Sue Dollman

“If there is such a thing as being conditioned by climate and geography, and I think there is, it is the West that has conditioned me. It has the forms and lights and colors that I respond to in nature and in art. If there is a western speech, I speak it; if there is a western character or personality, I am some variant of it; if there is a western culture in the small-“c”, anthropological sense, I have not escaped it. It has to have shaped me. I may even have contributed to it in minor ways, for culture is a pyramid to which each of us brings a stone.”--Wallace Stegner, 'Living Dry,' 1987

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Awesome sunset. Making my way through the road trip linky, trying to keep the momentum going after a-z. Am your newest follower, have camped and hiked and skied in my younger years in the West...now we just enjoy some of the weather from the comfort of a resort/condo etc.

As much as I visited during a-z, am still finding places of interest I missed while on the road trip.
Oozing Out My Ears

Darla Sue Dollman said...

Thank you--I always appreciate more readers and love talking to those who know the West, as we all do on this blog. There's some great conversations on this blog. I really enjoy it. I mentioned on your last comment--I was in an accident and my blogs were hacked, so I still intend to finish the challenge, I was just set back a few weeks while recovering. I don't think it's right that cyberbullys should control the goals or success of others, so I will finish. Thanks for reading!

Christmas dinner for a family, from a series of photos documenting Gen. John J. Pershing's 1916 Punitive Expedition into Mexico. ...